Twitter share button

Translate

Neen and Grampa, Love You Always

Neen and Grampa, Love You Always

webs

webs

Angel Robin

Angel Robin
MANY of these photos are courtesy of my SoulMate, my Beloved Eternal, Robin Taylor.

We Meet Again...

We Meet Again...

Lovers

Lovers

VirtuosoBabe

VirtuosoBabe

FreddieBrianBabyKitty

FreddieBrianBabyKitty

Cathy's Babies

Cathy's Babies


Monday, February 7, 2011

7 years old (a rant)

     As a brief aside, (ok, a brag) :) our Leo, who happens to have been born with Trisomy 21, recently received his report card. He is following the un-modified 1st grade (age appropriate) NYState curriculum. His teacher rewarded his proficiency in most areas with above-average grades (ie equivalent of "B," in most cases. His grades soared in Art, Music, & even Gym! (We know where he got the Art & Music, while the jury is out on the origins of his athletic abilities, but we've narrowed it down to a British uncle who excelled in many athletic pursuits, as well as to my Nina (maternal grandmother), who played basketball at Girls High in 1910's, Brooklyn, NY).(**I miss you so, Neen- could really use your input Day-to-Day...but I do feel your support...)
~~~~~
     This year, supposedly for the convenience of the buses, the elementary & intermediate children (2 combined schools) who are transported by parents/guardians, are forced to line up in a (darkened) hallway, while ~we line up in *2* lines, facing them, separated by makeshift office space (2 tables with sign-out sheets) inside an extremely narrow corridor; we impatiently wait our turns to sign out our children. The children do not appear to be thrilled. (We are, by the way, dealing with a school for so-called"normal" or"typical" children (whatever that means.)

     Tired, antsy little kids (Kindergarten-grade 4 approx.) line the hallways, while exhausted educational professionals (all?) must keep our children in formation, until we parents arrive to retrieve our precious babes. How well do you think the kiddies behave?

     Our little boy works with an aide, a woman whose kind-Heartedness, of late, appears to be changing into...???
Certainly, her job is neither highly compensated, nor one of put-your-feet-up ease! Any of us who are parents, whether our children are specially Gifted or not (actually, they all are) :), know how children generally feel toward the end of the school Day. Is the above described scene not a recipe for tiny complaints, hair-pullings, "He opened my mochila?" "She took my mittens!" "He hit me!" ???

After a couple of incidents on the part of our little one, above-mentioned aide brainstormed a wonderful idea! "I will take Leo down early, & we will sit in the corner by the gym." Leo was thrilled! The Middle-School Girls' Basketball team practises in the gym after school! Leo is enamored of both girls (he especially loves older women) *and* basketball. Additionally, Intermediate School Band plays its last lovely number as lovely Aide arrives with Leo.


      Non-angelic Leo (that's a stereotype; we're talking about a 7-yr-old *boy* here!) has acted out a couple of times. He is as impatient as his parents! Miss Aide's arrangement suits both people....or-wait a minute! Does it?!


    When I arrived Today, Miss Aide & Leo stood by the Gym. She was saying, "Now, Leo, what do you want? Can't you stand here quietly?" (No girls Today). Reading my child's Mind, I barely spoke to Miss Aide; I coated my Leo, & bid Miss Aide good-bye, saying "I cannot sanction this exclusion another Day!" (I know; I was unprofessionally assertive & likely embarrassed her in front of others; I am flawed & I am sorry for acting so-will apologize .) I brought Leo into the parent- line, where he was absolutely antsy, but maintained better behavior than several of the kids I observed to be lining the hallway. I asked him if he wanted to sit with the other children from now on, to which he replied affirmatively.


     Perhaps it's me? Who here could be considered a bit...dare I say...lazy? Is not the job of an Educational Professional to teach the children how to behave, rather than to *avoid* potential behavioral challenges? In such circumstances, how will a child learn ?



     Exclusion...no. No! No!! We will soon be meeting an area woman, a Professional Advocate, who has been through many similar circumstances. Her daughter, now 20, holds a Regents Diploma- you know, the kind of Diploma most college-entry youths obtain pre-college.

Oh...by the way...that girl has Down's Sydrome.

    From the above-mentioned Advocate, I have learned many things...
Exclusion...no. No! No! No!!


Peace, an extremely determined, CherylFaith (whose son is a Winner, just like yours) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment